Wednesday, April 21, 2010

With Silver Bells and Cockle Shells...

And so my garden grows.


All I want to do lately is work in my garden. I wish I could just run out of my office right now, take off my stupid work clothes and put on my garden getup! I check my seedlings like 3 times a day. I don't even have them in the ground yet and I already want to plant more. Last month I built some raised garden beds for my yard. My plan is to build a frame around them with a shade screen so that I don't have to water 5 times a day just to keep my veggies alive. My yard is like the surface of Mars during the summer. Phase two of my garden plan is bees. This month I officially became a beekeeper. I am pretty obsessed with it and I hope that my garden explodes with all the new pollinators around. Anyway, with all the pieces coming together I realize I have forgotten about the most significant part of gardening plan- my garden outfit! Duh!



Before we get started, let me just say that I hope this is not what's growing in my garden! I am supposed to surf the crimson wave today, if you know what I mean, and I want everyone to say a little prayer for a favorable surf report.



Moving right along, here is a lovely way to spend the day in your garden. Check out those biodegradable pots! I wish I had thought of that, I could have made my own and found a use for paper grocery bags (I'm bad about bringing my own). Also, I love overalls. They really put me in the mood to work. I put them on and I just feel ready. I always steal my boyfriend's overalls. I used to wear them to the print studio to work on my art when I lived in Santa Cruz. It was great because they were already dirty and had patches, so I didn't have to worry about staining my clothes! Now I just wear them whenever I know I'm going to get dirty. I realized as of late, the only work I enjoy doing, is work which gets me dirty. Eff my office job. Everyone in here is so clean and they are all obsessed with germs. There are hand sanitizer dispensers mounted on the walls! When I was little I used to EAT dirt. Those were the days...

Overalls from Built By Wendy
Sunglasses  and hat from Anthro
Hand crafted garden tools from here.
Herb markers from Justwork
Bio pots from ThistleFinchGallery



Hey Anthropologie, where do you get off selling flower print clogs for $148? I guess clogs are in now but these are glorified gardening shoes! They remind me of my second grade teacher, and yeah that was in the 90's.



Sometimes when I work in my garden I want to look like Edie from Grey Gardens. I want to tie a headscarf on, put on my duck booties and get to work like a babushka woman. I always think of Edie when I wear an apron. Aprons are so cute, I wish they went all the way around! But if I have learned anything from Edie it's, "Make it work!" Well, I gues I learned that from Tim Gunn but it is an Edie concept. I wonder if that is where he got his inspiration for the phrase. Anyway, what I am saying is that Edie would tie this apron around her head and make it look good. Or she would wear it as a top. The point is she would find a way and so can I. You can throw together random stuff, wear them creatively and look like a chic gardener. You probably don't even need to buy anything new!

Image from HBO's Grey Gardens
Vintage scarves, booties, and apron.
Gloves from here.



One more thing, isn't this awesome!? This is a sculpture by Marcos Carerra. He made it from old garden tools. I love it. The wings even move. Check it out!

1 comment:

  1. I love those duck shoes! I need a better job so that I can afford to buy at least half of the things you post here.

    ReplyDelete

Speak your mind, zombling...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...