Tuesday, December 27, 2011

DIY NYE Headband

I hope everyone had a great Christmas! I had a great time visiting family and friends and EATING. Actually, I tried not to eat too much but it's hard when that's what every event is centered around. Did everybody get something awesome for Christmas? Well the good new is, even if you didn't, I have one last present for you! Check out my holiday headband and get ready for a DIY tutorial.



You will need:
Pipe cleaners (in the color of your choice but I recommend silver or gold)
A ruler (optional)

Step 1: Fold the pipe cleaner in roughly 1 inch increments. After you make the first fold use that to measurement to match the next folds against. You want to try to fold as close to the same length as possible. The severity of the fold will determine the pointy-ness of each stars "arms". Continue to fold until you have made 10 folds. Your pipe cleaner should look like this:

Step 2: Now that you have made ten folds, pull the folds apart in groups of two or in 'V' shapes to make a star. After you have the shape you want close up the star by twisting the excess pipe cleaner around the adjoining piece. Repeat steps 1 & 2 until you have about 10 stars. The process should look like this: 

Step 3: Once your stars are made you can begin tying them together to create your headband. To do this simply cut a piece of pipe cleaner (about 3/4 inch in length) and use it to wrap the two starts together. I like to fold it in a staple shape the clamps the stars together but allows for a little flexibility. You can experiment with different patterns but in my example above I attach the stars in an alternating height pattern. See below:

Once you have attached all your stars to each other you should have a circle of stars that you can wear around your head. You may need to add or subtract the number of stars based on your head size. I like mine to be a little loose and 10 stars worked for me. Enjoy!

8 comments:

  1. But don't the stars pull out of shape? Pipecleaners are so flexible...

    ReplyDelete
  2. They didn't while they were on my head. Later after I wasn't wearing them and they were just kicking around my room it happen to a few of the stars but they are easy to put back to their original shape I still have the headband and its totally still wearable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going to make one of these but in neon green to wear to a haunted house I'm going to. This way, it will glow in the black light. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! Thats a great idea! This year for Halloween I rocked this accessory which would be an easy DIY but I was lazy and bought it on Etsy: https://www.etsy.com/listing/165193788/bone-hugs-n-harmony-glow-in-the-dark?ref=shop_home_active

      Delete
  4. It looks socute on your head <3 love it

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for this tutorial! I made this for my daughters 6 month pictures...SOOO cute! Wish I could post a picture to share

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing this cute idea and the tutorial! I'll try to make one for my little granddaughter.
    Kind greetings from the EU (A)

    ReplyDelete

Speak your mind, zombling...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...