Thursday, August 4, 2011

Lolita Fanning


Is anyone else disturbed by this Marie Claire photo shoot of Elle Fanning? I know she is adorable and she has that Twiggy thing going on here but that's because she's 13! I just find it really inappropriate. It makes me think of this passage from Lolita and shudder:

Between the age limits of nine and fourteen there occur maidens who, to certain bewitched travelers, twice or many times older than they, reveal their true nature which is not human, but nymphic (that is, demoniac); and these chosen creatures I propose to designate as "nymphets." -- Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov

I didn't know Humbert Humbert ran Marie Claire. I have seen plenty of other tasteful photo shoots of Elle where she looked perfectly cute as a 13 year old. I just wonder about what our society is coming to sometimes... We are all terribly afraid of child molesters, so much so that the media makes you think there's one on every block but then it's okay to sex up a 13 year old and sell the images just because she's famous? Just because 'that's fashion'? Who knows if she's even started her period yet!


Here's a picture of her from this same year looking like an actual 13 year old.


4 comments:

  1. I applaud you for this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a continuation of the adoration of youth in women. Maturity is a threat, therefore youth is harmless to our male-centric culture.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good point. Although I don't think this issue is strictly restricted to young girls... i.e. Twilight.

    ReplyDelete

Speak your mind, zombling...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...